www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Chamikara Jayalath <chamikar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using Hibernate in an Apache Project
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 05:36:54 GMT
Hi Cliff,

Actually what we want to commit is some code written by us which will go
under Apache License (Not LGPL). Only thing is this code will refer to some
Hibernate classes. It is great if we can give the hibernate jar with our
distribution, but even if not we can still ask the users to download it
seperately.

So what we actually have are following two problems.

1. Can we commit source code that goes under Apache licence but will refer
to some classes of the Hibernate framework (which goes under LGPL).

2. Can we include Hibernate jar in the Apache Sandesa2 distributions.

Thank you,
Chamikara

On 12/22/05, Cliff Schmidt <cliffschmidt@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm just about to propose a licensing policy, based on the input I've
> gotten from various mailing lists, the PMCs, and lots of folks at
> ApacheCon.  I can't tell you how the proposal will be received, but I
> can tell you that it would not allow the distribution of LGPL code
> within an Apache product.
>
> Stay tuned on this list for details within the next few days.
>
> Cliff
>
> On 12/21/05, Chamikara Jayalath <chamikaramj@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  We have some uncommitted code related to Apache Sandesha project that
> uses
> > Hibernate. We can commit them to the the Sandesha2 SVN if this has been
> > solved.
> >
> >  Has the license issue been resolved now ?
> >
> >  Thank you,
> >  Chamikara
> >

> > On 10/28/05, Cliff Schmidt <cliffschmidt@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > At this point, the answer is "no".  There has been discussion of
> > > having a policy to allow using and/or distributing LGPL, but that
> > > discussion has not been resolved yet.  I will do everything I can to
> > > have the issue resolved by ApacheCon (Dec 10-14); but I can't tell you
> > > how it will be resolved just yet.
> > >
> > > Cliff

> the
> > license.