www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Cliff Schmidt <cliffschm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What kind of oversight Is required for a release?
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:49:53 GMT
On 11/14/05, Justin Mason <jm@jmason.org> wrote:
> Cliff Schmidt writes:

> >> That's not what I thought I read - I saw "there is no standard set of
> >> rules, the PMC members (and ultimately, the PMC chair) of each project
> >> are free to come up with a set of rules for their own project, so long
> >> as they realize that ultimately, it is their responsibility to ensure
> >> release compliance with ASF standards".
> >
> >I'd say, ask your PMC chair.  If *you are a PMC chair* and think it is
> >fine for committers on your project to release distributions on behalf
> >of the ASF without three +1 votes from PMC members, I would suggest
> >you make sure the board doesn't have a problem with that.  I can only
> >tell you that the Beehive, Incubator, and XMLBeans releases require
> >PMC votes, not certain about the other ~30 projects.
>
> Well... SpamAssassin does not require PMC votes, just 3 +1's from
> committers -- http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/VotingProcedure .
> So make that 29.
>
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#ReleaseVotes does not suggest
> that we need to ask the board for permission to use that model.  Perhaps
> it needs updating ;)

Actually, that same page has a section at the top, "Binding Votes":

"Who is permitted to vote is, to some extent, a community-specific
thing. However, the basic rule is that only PMC members have binding
votes, and all others are either discouraged from voting (to keep the
noise down) or else have their votes considered of an indicative or
advisory nature only.

That's the general rule. In actual fact, things tend to be a little
looser, and procedural votes from developers and committers are
sometimes considered binding if the voter has acquired enough merit
and respect in the community. Only votes by PMC members are considered
binding on code-modification issues, however."

Cliff