www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Cliff Schmidt <cliffschm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What kind of oversight Is required for a release?
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 07:55:55 GMT
On 11/13/05, Issac Goldstand <margol@beamartyr.net> wrote:
> Garrett Rooney wrote:
> > On 11/13/05, Cliff Schmidt <cliffschmidt@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Section 6.3 of the ASF bylaws
> >> (http://www.apache.org/foundation/bylaws.html) establishes PMCs for
> >> "the creation or maintenance of "open-source" software for
> >> distribution to the public at no charge".  The officer primarily
> >> responsible for the PMC may "establish rules and procedures for the
> >> day to day management of project(s) for which the committee is
> >> responsible."  It is these rules that govern the specific way that the
> >> project creates an open and meritocratic environment, which includes
> >> the process of committers voting for things affecting the project.
> >> However, it is always the PMC (and more specifically, the PMC chair,
> >> as the ASF officer) that is responsible for the actions of the
> >> project.
> >>
> >> Since official ASF distributions are pretty significant (especially
> >> due to the need to ensure there are no open legal issues), the PMC
> >> should not lazily delegate this action to the members of its
> >> community.  Of course, they should put a lot of weight on the desires
> >> of the community, including users, contributors, and committers; but,
> >> the PMC is ultimately responsible for the entire project and must make
> >> the final decision.
> >>

> > So what you're saying is that while other people can vote, they're
> > only expressing an opinion, and those votes really can't count towards
> > the 3 required for a release, right?
> >
> That's not what I thought I read - I saw "there is no standard set of
> rules, the PMC members (and ultimately, the PMC chair) of each project
> are free to come up with a set of rules for their own project, so long
> as they realize that ultimately, it is their responsibility to ensure
> release compliance with ASF standards".

I'd say, ask your PMC chair.  If *you are a PMC chair* and think it is
fine for committers on your project to release distributions on behalf
of the ASF without three +1 votes from PMC members, I would suggest
you make sure the board doesn't have a problem with that.  I can only
tell you that the Beehive, Incubator, and XMLBeans releases require
PMC votes, not certain about the other ~30 projects.

Cliff