www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Cliff Schmidt <cliffschm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What kind of oversight Is required for a release?
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 06:04:31 GMT
Section 6.3 of the ASF bylaws
(http://www.apache.org/foundation/bylaws.html) establishes PMCs for
"the creation or maintenance of "open-source" software for
distribution to the public at no charge".  The officer primarily
responsible for the PMC may "establish rules and procedures for the
day to day management of project(s) for which the committee is
responsible."  It is these rules that govern the specific way that the
project creates an open and meritocratic environment, which includes
the process of committers voting for things affecting the project.
However, it is always the PMC (and more specifically, the PMC chair,
as the ASF officer) that is responsible for the actions of the
project.

Since official ASF distributions are pretty significant (especially
due to the need to ensure there are no open legal issues), the PMC
should not lazily delegate this action to the members of its
community.  Of course, they should put a lot of weight on the desires
of the community, including users, contributors, and committers; but,
the PMC is ultimately responsible for the entire project and must make
the final decision.

Cliff