www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: XSLT code using LGPL is OK? (fwd)
Date Sun, 06 Nov 2005 15:23:07 GMT

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005, Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> Thanks Henri!

> Can I forward the answer to the lenya devel? If not posible to dev@lenya then
> can forward it to lenya PMC?

Glad you asked. I've spent some time re-reading the various LGPL threads,
and will spend some more (what are Sunday morning's for eh?) in case my
statement was wrong.

I have to keep reminding myself that this is XSLT and not Java.

The status is:

LGPL is unusable for Java due to legal confusion in the licence. This maps
to other languages, but they're undefined. No import, no SVN, no

LGPL is usable for C/C++, provided that the feature is optional. I'm
unsure what the status is on SVN and distributing; but I think it's not

The former is being resolved in the hope that we can treat Java and other
languages in the same way as C/C++.

So the question is how to interpret XSLT. At best it's usable for optional
features, but not storable in SVN/distributable. At worst it's not usable
at all in the meantime, but will hopefully change.

As far as I know, anything on this list is forwardable to the PMC lists as
this list is open to any committer. You've my permission to forward my
answers to the dev list too, though bear in mind it seems to be a subject
that doesn't like to sit still and I may be incorrect in my understanding.
IANAD (director).

> I have another question, seems like this code is dual Licensed. The 2nd
> license is: Sun Industry Standards Source License Version 1.1 (see below). Is
> this license also forbidden?

I suspect not. Sun have deprecated it, and as their licences are
increasing in usability for us it would suggest that this older licence
was unusable for us.  We mostly seem to discuss Sun's BCL and SCSL
licences though; I've not seen a lot on SISSL.