www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: XSLT code using LGPL is OK? (fwd)
Date Sat, 05 Nov 2005 07:15:24 GMT

Resending this for Antonio's benefit. His email server is refusing the
email due to Dims' tagline (which I'll let Dims know about separately,
seems their wso2 website is a blacklisted term).

Hen

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 01:42:01 -0500 (EST)
From: Henri Yandell <bayard@generationjava.com>
To: dims@apache.org
Cc: Antonio Gallardo <antonio@apache.org>, legal-discuss@apache.org
Subject: Re: XSLT code using LGPL is OK?

The policy change is unlikely to help Antonio. It's with regards to how we
consider the dependency on an LGPL product, especially from the point of view
of non-C languages where the meaning of the word 'link' is less clear.

However storing in our CVS and distributing of LGPL'd works is very unlikely to
change; so the answer is no.

Part of the reason for this is a policy of avoiding downstream surprises on the
user-side; someone creating a variant of Lenya will assume it is Apache
licenced and not be very happy to discover that there are some tiny parts that
they cannot include in their variant.

What you can do is ensure the dependency is an optional feature, and have a
separate download (either the original Sun one, or java.net/sf.net if you fork
it). Downloads must be clear to the user, so no magical downloading as part of
an install.

Hen