www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: XSLT code using LGPL is OK?
Date Sat, 05 Nov 2005 06:42:01 GMT

The policy change is unlikely to help Antonio. It's with regards to how we
consider the dependency on an LGPL product, especially from the point of
view of non-C languages where the meaning of the word 'link' is less
clear.

However storing in our CVS and distributing of LGPL'd works is very
unlikely to change; so the answer is no.

Part of the reason for this is a policy of avoiding downstream surprises
on the user-side; someone creating a variant of Lenya will assume it is
Apache licenced and not be very happy to discover that there are some tiny
parts that they cannot include in their variant.

What you can do is ensure the dependency is an optional feature, and have
a separate download (either the original Sun one, or java.net/sf.net if
you fork it). Downloads must be clear to the user, so no magical
downloading as part of an install.

Hen