www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Cliff Schmidt <cli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposed header text at the top of each LICENSE file
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:40:17 GMT
On Nov 24, 2005, at 4:32 PM, Jeffrey Thompson wrote:

> I had thought that the approach that we were going to use was to
> have the base distribution of any Apache project licensed under the
> ASL, and that there would optionally be available for download add-
> ons and non-core technology under other licenses (such as MPL, CPL,
> etc.).
>
> If that's the case, then the license file is much easier.  Its
> ASL.  And for any other components, there would be a single LICENSE
> file describing the license.  That would be easiest.

Unfortunately, I no longer think this is feasible.  There was a time
when I thought that the ASF could limit its distributions to include
only software under the Apache License.  I thought that nearly all
third-party components that we currently distribute could be
sublicensed under the Apache License.  Before even getting into the
question of how critical CPL and MPL-licensed binary components are
to today's ASF distributions, let's take an extreme example: do you
think it's appropriate for the ASF to relicense a BSD-licensed
component under the Apache License?  Aren't we now representing that
the contributors of that code have offered an explicit patent grant
and revocation condition?  The same question applies to the MIT
license and even the ASL 1.1.

> If we aren't taking that approach and we are including non-ASL
> licensed code in the base distributions, at what point does the non-
> ASL code outweigh the ASL code and cause a problem for the community?

If you see a problem with relicensing third-party BSD or ASL 1.1
components under the Apache License, it's just not ever going to be
possible for us to limit our distributions to only those with an ALv2
license, not even for just the core required stuff.

Cliff