www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <psm...@apache.org>
Subject BSD & 'external' ASL licensed JARs, hosting in SVN repo?
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2005 05:56:55 GMT
Question 1 - BSD license
===================

It was my understanding that BSD licensed stuff is 'ok' but as with
any legal matter 'ok' is a gray/grey area.

http://xstream.codehaus.org/

I wish to use the above product in the Chainsaw GUI we're creating
for the Logging Services group.  I would prefer it if we could host
the specific set of JAR dependencies directly inside the SVN repo.
Most are ASL JARs, but this one is not, it's BSD.

Question 2 - 'external' to ASF JARs that are ASL licensed.

JmDNS was originally licensed under LGPL, but is now licensed under
ASL 2.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jmdns/

(note the summary page still says LGPL, but if you look in the
"Latest News" section they say it's ASL 2, and the distro has the ASL
license in it.

Is it ok to host _any_ ASL 2 licensed product inside our SVN repo?

thanks guys/gals,

cheers,

Paul Smith