www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Cliff Schmidt <cli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposed header text at the top of each LICENSE file
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2005 09:51:10 GMT
On Nov 28, 2005, at 4:33 PM, Jeffrey Thompson wrote:
> At the very least, we should be able to depend on some of the key
> FOSS organizations to try to keep a handle on things.  When I go to
> FSF, I know that I'm getting GPL/LGPL code.  When I go to Eclipse,
> I expect the code to be EPL.  It would be nice if we could keep the
> assumption that Apache is ASL (possibly except for clearly marked
> exceptions).  If that's not the case, things are indeed going
> downhill fast.

Actually, projects released from the Eclipse Foundation are under the
Eclipse Foundation Software User Agreement (http://eclipse.org/legal/
epl/notice.html).  Note how the agreement requires users accept all
terms of the possibly included components under other licenses.  What
I am proposing we do for our LICENSE file is add a small piece of
text that accomplishes something similar to this.  In addition, I
would also like to see all included licenses (or at least a list of
them) in one central place, rather than requiring the user to hunt
for them.

Cliff