www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Cliff Schmidt <cliffschm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposed header text at the top of each LICENSE file
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2005 21:56:43 GMT
On Nov 23, 2005, at 10:20 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:

> Cliff Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Nov 23, 2005, at 6:09 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>>
>>> No, it is supposed to include ALL of the licenses applicable to that
>>> distribution.  For example,
>>>
>>>    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/LICENSE
>>

>> Funny you say that, because I've been trying to tell folks the
>> same  thing.  When I said above, "which currently only includes a
>> copy of  the Apache License", I was really referring to the way I
>> believe most  projects are actually operating today, not the way
>> that you and I  would both agree is preferable (and the way a
>> minority of projects  are doing things).
>>
> Well, I just don't see how one license file is workable.  Take a
> look at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/legal/.
> Cocoon regularly updates jars and updates licenses. Trying to do
> that in one file would be unmanageable.

And this is the reason that I am proposing text at the top of the
LICENSE file that says to look in a directory named, 'licenses-ext'
to see what other third-party licenses may apply.  This is very
similar to what Cocoon does today, but here are the differences:

- I want to see specific text at the top of the LICENSE file, rather
than what Cocoon does in the middle of the main README file (which is
better than nothing at all).

- I would like to see something  _in a single file_ that lists each
third-party component* and the name of its applicable license with a
reference to the included license file.  This list would either be in
the top-level LICENSE file inserted between the header text and the
Apache License (as Roy proposed), or it might be in something like a
README file in the 'licenses-ext' directory with all the individual
license files (which is what I was originally thinking with this
proposal).  If the license is custom, but only edits the proper names
of some OSI-approved, non-template license (e.g. ASL 1.1), we might
want to include a note in this list that the license is "similar to
ASL 1.1".

- With the addition of a list mentioned above, we should be able to
eliminate all the duplicate licenses that Cocoon currently includes
in its legal directory.  Of course, this would only apply to template
licenses that were identical for multiple components (e.g. Apache
License v2), not to multiple slightly-modified versions of a non-
template license (e.g. ASL 1.1).

* I would not consider other ASF project distributions to be third-
party components, but I think it's fine if a project wants to list
ASF components that way rather than make a separate 'not-maintained-
by-this-project-but-not-really-third-party' category.

Cliff