www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Garrett Rooney <roo...@apache.org>
Subject What kind of oversight Is required for a release?
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 05:11:30 GMT
This is actually a subject that came up on IRC a while back, and
nobody had an especially great answer, but it was suggested that it
might be a topic to discuss on this list.

The initial question was, who is actually allowed to vote on a release
of an Apache project?

In the projects I've been involved in, either as a committer and PMC
member (APR) or as a very occasional contributor (HTTPD), the project
documentation indicates that three +1 votes from committers are
needed, but in recent days I've heard multiple people say that only
PMC members are actually allowed to vote, since that's what is
required for proper oversight of the release process.

When I asked where the "3 +1 votes from PMC members" rule was actually
written down, nobody knew.  If you trace it back, apparently it was
discussed on the ASF members mailing list, but that's not an
especially great place to send out these kind of directives,
considering that a large number of the ASF developers are not actually
members.

So at the end of the discussion, there really wasn't any real
consensus on what was required, or where one could go to actually find
ASF wide rules on these matters.

Please note that I don't have a strong opinion one way or another on
who is able to vote on a release.  If 3 +1 votes from PMC members is
what is required for us to be able to claim we're maintaining proper
oversight of member projects, that's fine with me, I just wish it
could be written down someplace where a new contributor or committer
or even PMC member can be expected to find it, rather than having to
hear about it through the grapevine as seems to be the case these
days.

-garrett