www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Cliff Schmidt <cli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposed header text at the top of each LICENSE file
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2005 23:58:22 GMT
On Nov 28, 2005, at 3:33 PM, Jeffrey Thompson wrote:

> Cliff Schmidt <cliffs@apache.org> wrote on 11/28/2005 05:40:17 PM:
>
> > On Nov 24, 2005, at 4:32 PM, Jeffrey Thompson wrote:
> >
> > > I had thought that the approach that we were going to use was to
> > > have the base distribution of any Apache project licensed under
> the
> > > ASL, and that there would optionally be available for download
> add-
> > > ons and non-core technology under other licenses (such as MPL,
> CPL,
> > > etc.).
> > >
> > > If that's the case, then the license file is much easier.  Its
> > > ASL.  And for any other components, there would be a single
> LICENSE
> > > file describing the license.  That would be easiest.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I no longer think this is feasible.  There was a time
> > when I thought that the ASF could limit its distributions to include
> > only software under the Apache License.  I thought that nearly all
> > third-party components that we currently distribute could be
> > sublicensed under the Apache License.  Before even getting into the
> > question of how critical CPL and MPL-licensed binary components are
> > to today's ASF distributions, let's take an extreme example: do you
> > think it's appropriate for the ASF to relicense a BSD-licensed
> > component under the Apache License?  Aren't we now representing that
> > the contributors of that code have offered an explicit patent grant
> > and revocation condition?
>
> I don't see how we're representing that.  Whoever contributed the
> code under the Apache license (if anyone) would be making a patent
> grant, but I don't recall Apache ever claiming that it had the
> ability to go find everyone who has contributed copyrightable code
> to old BSD projects and get patent grants.  Frankly, I think that
> would be a waste of time.  And I don't see anything in the ASLv2
> that requires it.

All I'm saying is that if an ASF distribution includes a third-party
component under the BSD license, the ASF should not be changing the
license of that component.  We could certainly license the collective
work of the ASF distribution under the Apache License, but we should
not be sublicensing the BSD component with an Apache License.

Are you disagreeing with this?

> BTW, I'm working on trying to get to San Diego this year.  If
> others in this discussion are going to be there, maybe we can do
> some of this in person.  Might be a bit quicker.

That would be great.  Let me know when your schedule firms up, and I
will schedule a BOF to cover/discuss/debate some of these questions.
(Same goes for any of the other folks on this list who are interested
in doing something like this.)

Cliff