www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Proposed header text at the top of each LICENSE file
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2005 02:09:23 GMT
On Nov 23, 2005, at 5:38 PM, Cliff Schmidt wrote:

> In order to address the current situation of ASF releases including
> third-party components that can/should not be sublicensed under the
> Apache License (such as the CPL and MPL), I would like to propose that
> we add something like the following text to the top of each LICENSE
> file (which currently only includes a copy of the Apache License).

No, it is supposed to include ALL of the licenses applicable to that
distribution.  For example,

    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/LICENSE

> "This product is a collective work, selected and arranged by the
> Apache Software Foundation and licensed under the Apache License,
> Version 2.0.  The components of this work include:
>
> a) software licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
> or more contributor license agreements, which the ASF licenses to you
> under the Apache License, Version 2.0; and possibly,
>
> b) third-party components licensed under terms that may be different
> from those of the Apache License, Version 2.0.  Copies of such
> licenses can be found in either a file or directory labeled
> 'LICENSES-EXT'."

I don't like the idea of having more than one license file.
Placing a general intro on the top of the file is a good idea,
but I prefer that all the licenses be in one file, or at least
specifically named by that one file.  I.e.,

   b) the following third-party components licensed under terms that
   may be different from those of the Apache License, Version 2.0:

      mod_foggle: LGPL    (see ./modules/foogle/COPYING)
      mod_doogle: MPL 1.1 (see ./modules/doogle/LICENSE)

....Roy