www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: What kind of oversight Is required for a release?
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 23:53:36 GMT
On Nov 14, 2005, at 3:41 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> I do not believe that this is a relative matter.  As I understand it,
>> the
>> requirement is for PMC votes, and projects that don't do that are
>> misguided
>> and not in accord with the ASF's structure.  Committers have no
>> standing in
>> our bylaws; only PMC members have standing.  Which is one reason why
>> Roy has
>> said that any Committer who is not a PMC member should be asking why
>> not,
>> and wanting to be.
>
> So why don't we just merge the concept of Committer and PMC member? If
> Committers should be PMC members, why not just change our processes so
> this is always the case?

Because committer is simply the name we use for people who have
write access to cvs/subversion.  It does not always mean they have
a right to vote on project decisions.  Most times, but not always.
PMC, in contrast, means people whose vote matters.  If a project has
committers who think they have a binding vote but are not on the PMC,
then one or the other needs to be fixed.

The ONLY reason we have PMCs is to formally track who is managing
a project and making decisions on behalf of the ASF.  If somebody
outside the PMC is making decisions, then oversight has failed.

....Roy