www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <pste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposed header text at the top of each LICENSE file
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2005 02:04:55 GMT
Jeffrey Thompson wrote:
> However, as a "user", license proliferation is a real pain in the xxxxx.
>  I don't see that getting any better any time soon.  At the very least,
> we should be able to depend on some of the key FOSS organizations to try
> to keep a handle on things.  When I go to FSF, I know that I'm getting
> GPL/LGPL code.  When I go to Eclipse, I expect the code to be EPL.  It
> would be nice if we could keep the assumption that Apache is ASL
> (possibly except for clearly marked exceptions).  If that's not the
> case, things are indeed going downhill fast.
> In one of your prior notes you mentioned critical CPL/MPL dependencies.
>  Obviously, you have a deeper understanding than I do on that point, so
> I'll defer to you.  However, we should be able to figure out how to
> handle the exception as an exception without losing the benefit of the
> general rule that ASF is ASL.

+1 - and IIUC, I don't think we are really disagreeing here.  Its just a
question of how we designate and handle the "exceptions."  My preference
as a user would be to have it very clear which products are (fully)
ASL-licensed.  If this means checking that a directory is empty, that is
suboptimal, but could be workable.  If it means looking for the standard
ASL license, that is better.

+1 for apachecon BOF as well :-)

> Jeff
> Staff Counsel, IBM Corporation  (914)766-1757  (tie)8-826  (fax) -8160
> (notes) jthom@ibmus  (internet) jthom@us.ibm.com (home) jeff@beff.net
> (web) http://www.beff.net/

official ASF policies and documents.