www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Proposed header text at the top of each LICENSE file
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2005 01:34:19 GMT
As I read this it is not at all clear to me that you and Cliff are
talking about the same thing.  It seems you (Jeffrey) are mostly
addressing code that resides in Apache's svn repository (at least, that
is the way it appears), while Cliff is speaking mostly about the
dependencies Apache projects have upon code outside of Apache.  AFAIK,
code under the GPL/LGPL and EPL all have dependencies on code outside
their projects too.  For example, almost everything using XML depends on
Xerces. The license file for JBoss 3.2.6 lists several licenses
including BSD, mozilla, bouncycastle, sleepycat and several from sun.
However, one can presume that as a whole they are all compatible with
the LGPL.

That, I believe, is where we need to be.  While each project might have
many dependepencies with varying licenses, they all need to be
"compatible" with the Apache license.  However, when I see projects like
Agila that have project.xml files with explicit dependencies on LGPL'd
code I have to believe something is wrong.  That is, unless we consider
the LGPL and Apache license to be compatible.

Ralph