www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Issac Goldstand <mar...@beamartyr.net>
Subject Re: What kind of oversight Is required for a release?
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 07:13:48 GMT
Garrett Rooney wrote:
> On 11/13/05, Cliff Schmidt <cliffschmidt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Section 6.3 of the ASF bylaws
>> (http://www.apache.org/foundation/bylaws.html) establishes PMCs for
>> "the creation or maintenance of "open-source" software for
>> distribution to the public at no charge".  The officer primarily
>> responsible for the PMC may "establish rules and procedures for the
>> day to day management of project(s) for which the committee is
>> responsible."  It is these rules that govern the specific way that the
>> project creates an open and meritocratic environment, which includes
>> the process of committers voting for things affecting the project.
>> However, it is always the PMC (and more specifically, the PMC chair,
>> as the ASF officer) that is responsible for the actions of the
>> project.
>>
>> Since official ASF distributions are pretty significant (especially
>> due to the need to ensure there are no open legal issues), the PMC
>> should not lazily delegate this action to the members of its
>> community.  Of course, they should put a lot of weight on the desires
>> of the community, including users, contributors, and committers; but,
>> the PMC is ultimately responsible for the entire project and must make
>> the final decision.
>>

> So what you're saying is that while other people can vote, they're
> only expressing an opinion, and those votes really can't count towards
> the 3 required for a release, right?

That's not what I thought I read - I saw "there is no standard set of
rules, the PMC members (and ultimately, the PMC chair) of each project
are free to come up with a set of rules for their own project, so long
as they realize that ultimately, it is their responsibility to ensure
release compliance with ASF standards".

  Issac