www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Cliff Schmidt <cli...@apache.org>
Subject Proposed header text at the top of each LICENSE file
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2005 01:38:08 GMT
I realize that many of the U.S. folks on this list may not be
checking email in the next few days, but I wanted to get this out
while I'm thinking of it...

In order to address the current situation of ASF releases including
third-party components that can/should not be sublicensed under the
Apache License (such as the CPL and MPL), I would like to propose
that we add something like the following text to the top of each
LICENSE file (which currently only includes a copy of the Apache
License).  I think this would more accurately reflect the licensing
of what our users get when they download a typical ASF distribution.
Note that I'm not getting into the debate of what licenses are okay
for third-party components on this thread -- I'll send something on
that shortly.

Here is what I'd propose:

"This product is a collective work, selected and arranged by the
Apache Software Foundation and licensed under the Apache License,
Version 2.0.  The components of this work include:

a) software licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under
one or more contributor license agreements, which the ASF licenses to
you under the Apache License, Version 2.0; and possibly,

b) third-party components licensed under terms that may be different
from those of the Apache License, Version 2.0.  Copies of such
licenses can be found in either a file or directory labeled 'LICENSES-
EXT'."

{followed by the standard text of the Apache License, Version 2.0}

Cliff