www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From j.@jmason.org (Justin Mason)
Subject Re: What kind of oversight Is required for a release?
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:41:20 GMT

Cliff Schmidt writes:
>On 11/13/05, Issac Goldstand <margol@beamartyr.net> wrote:
>> Garrett Rooney wrote:

>> > So what you're saying is that while other people can vote, they're
>> > only expressing an opinion, and those votes really can't count towards
>> > the 3 required for a release, right?
>> >
>> That's not what I thought I read - I saw "there is no standard set of
>> rules, the PMC members (and ultimately, the PMC chair) of each project
>> are free to come up with a set of rules for their own project, so long
>> as they realize that ultimately, it is their responsibility to ensure
>> release compliance with ASF standards".
>
>I'd say, ask your PMC chair.  If *you are a PMC chair* and think it is
>fine for committers on your project to release distributions on behalf
>of the ASF without three +1 votes from PMC members, I would suggest
>you make sure the board doesn't have a problem with that.  I can only
>tell you that the Beehive, Incubator, and XMLBeans releases require
>PMC votes, not certain about the other ~30 projects.

Well... SpamAssassin does not require PMC votes, just 3 +1's from
committers -- http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/VotingProcedure .
So make that 29.

http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#ReleaseVotes does not suggest
that we need to ask the board for permission to use that model.  Perhaps
it needs updating ;)

- --j.