www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject BSD-styled licenses
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 04:59:15 GMT

On Monday 14 November 2005 00:36, Henri Yandell wrote:
> Afaik, MIT can be treated as a BSD-like licence. It can be imported,
> distributed, stored in SVN.

I actually find this rather interesting.

Use-case;
 1. I create a software patent SP.
 2. I create an open source project OP, which uses patent SP.
 3. I license SP under BSD/MIT styled license.
 4. I (or someone else) makes a strong dependency on top of SP
    into an Apache project AP.
 5. User U now entrust AP, and build that into a commercial app
    CA.
 6. I find out that CA is using SP, and make patent claims against U.

Rationale why this is possible; BSD does not warrant that it is free of any
patents, the authors own included. Yet, ASF has been very liberal of
accepting BSD/MIT styled licenses almost as peers of the ASL.

Anyone want to clarify?

Does it warrant some sort of matrix in ASF, listing which projects are
depending on which licenses?

Cheers
Niclas