www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Cliff Schmidt <cli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposed header text at the top of each LICENSE file
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2005 04:06:39 GMT
On Nov 23, 2005, at 6:09 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> On Nov 23, 2005, at 5:38 PM, Cliff Schmidt wrote:
>
>> In order to address the current situation of ASF releases
>> including third-party components that can/should not be
>> sublicensed under the Apache License (such as the CPL and MPL), I
>> would like to propose that we add something like the following
>> text to the top of each LICENSE file (which currently only
>> includes a copy of the Apache License).
>
> No, it is supposed to include ALL of the licenses applicable to that
> distribution.  For example,
>
>    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/LICENSE

Funny you say that, because I've been trying to tell folks the same
thing.  When I said above, "which currently only includes a copy of
the Apache License", I was really referring to the way I believe most
projects are actually operating today, not the way that you and I
would both agree is preferable (and the way a minority of projects
are doing things).

>> "This product is a collective work, selected and arranged by the
>> Apache Software Foundation and licensed under the Apache License,
>> Version 2.0.  The components of this work include:
>>
>> a) software licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under
>> one or more contributor license agreements, which the ASF licenses
>> to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0; and possibly,
>>
>> b) third-party components licensed under terms that may be
>> different from those of the Apache License, Version 2.0.  Copies
>> of such licenses can be found in either a file or directory
>> labeled 'LICENSES-EXT'."
>
> I don't like the idea of having more than one license file.
> Placing a general intro on the top of the file is a good idea,
> but I prefer that all the licenses be in one file, or at least
> specifically named by that one file.  I.e.,
>
>   b) the following third-party components licensed under terms that
>   may be different from those of the Apache License, Version 2.0:
>
>      mod_foggle: LGPL    (see ./modules/foogle/COPYING)
>      mod_doogle: MPL 1.1 (see ./modules/doogle/LICENSE

I like this, and I think you and I are attempting to accomplish
similar things.  I definitely prefer the idea of fewer files/
directories of licensing info, but I was trying to balance that with:

  - it might be a good idea to have one identical, never
inadvertently/incorrectly modified LICENSE file that references where
to find out about third-party licenses and includes the license for
all the ASF-developed work.  Projects will still need to modify
something as they add new third-party components, but I thought this
made sure the most important file didn't get screwed up in the
process (I'm saying LICENSE is most important since it refers to the
IP we produce and still alerts users of where to find out about 3rd
party licenses) .

- it might be convenient for users to have one file or directory (if
not the LICENSE file) with the *text* of all the applicable licenses,
not just their names or a pointer to them.  I'm just guessing that
there will be many cases where some poor developer will have to
gather up the licenses from all those pointers to put into one file
or directory for some lawyer to review.

I don't feel really strongly about either of these two points, and
I'd be happy going with the modification you suggested.  But, I would
be interested to hear your response to these points or feedback from
anyone else on this list about any part of this plan.

Cliff