www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Cliff Schmidt <cliffschm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: regarding licensing Apache
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2005 20:34:36 GMT
On 10/18/05, robert burrell donkin <rdonkin@apache.org> wrote:
> without wanting to criticise niclas, i'm a little worried that we might
> be treading a bit of a fine line here. it's really great to be helpful
> but i'm a little worried that one day some of this chatter may come back
> to haunt us.
>
> in the past (before legal discuss), most advice i've seen given in cases
> like this is along the lines of 'hire a lawyer or read the license
> carefully'. personally speaking, i'd be a cautious about giving such
> frank and honest answers without prefixing with disclaimers (not a
> lawyer, hire a lawyer if you want legal advice, this is not official ASF
> reply, and so) but maybe i'm a little paranoid...
>
> opinions?

+1
There are two concerns in my mind: a) be clear that you aren't
offering legal advice, and b) be sure you are clear that you are not
speaking on behalf of the ASF (particularly for legal questions like
this).  I think it would be easy for someone to assume that a response
from legal-discuss at apache is an official ASF answer.  I believe all
the questions in his email are answered by the license, which is why I
was confused to read:

On 10/13/05, Deahyun Kim <dkim@skusa.com> wrote:
> I understand that Apache license 2.0 fully as to license and warranty policy.

(followed by a bunch of questions about the license)

Cliff