www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <pste...@apache.org>
Subject CLA / CCLA questions
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 13:55:09 GMT
The following is forwarded (with permission) from someone who has
recently been voted in as a Jakarta Commons committer.  I would
appreciate some help responding correctly to his questions.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

Regarding help: I have difficulties to grasp the patent related point 3
of the ICLA. Especially the second half regarding the consequences. I
work for asmall company and we do not file patents at all. As I
understand currently,the text simply means, that all patent licenses
granted by usimmediately get invalid if somebody starts a patent
lawsuite based on my contributions.

Reading point 4 I am also not sure, if I need the CCLA. Fact is, that
most code (patches/contributions) for commons is developed being at work
i.e. the code itself is intellectual property of my employer. I
currently have a verbal agreement for contributions. AFAICS this would
be enough, but I should made my employer better aware of the fact, that
this agreement will turn into a more legal state with signing me the ICLA.