www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Plans for Apache Licensing Policy
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2005 18:19:18 GMT
--On October 6, 2005 12:35:13 PM +0000 Cliff Schmidt
<cliffschmidt@gmail.com> wrote:

> 4. What exactly is a committer supposed to do when offered a patch?
>      (e.g. get explicit confirmation on the mailing
>       list that contributor acknowledges that they
>       are licensing their IP under AL2 and that they
>       do not work for an employer who has claims on
>       the IP they generate -- might be simpler to put
>       a statement like this on a "Terms of Use" page
>       and just have a committer ask the contributor
>       to acknowledge they agree to those terms.)

I think the mere act of submitting the patches on our public lists should
indicate the acceptance of our terms (esp. given the wording in ALv2).  I
think it's really impractical to have someone submit a patch and then
reply, "Are you sure you meant to post it?"

The rest of your guidelines look fine to me.

Thanks for taking this on.  -- justin