www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Lukas Theussl <ltheu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Copyright statement in intermediate files
Date Sun, 11 Sep 2005 16:08:56 GMT

> I buy a
> machine that makes chocolate statues which I assemble into some art work. Who
> owns the copyright to the chocolate statue??

That's a bit more like it but it still misses the point: we don't give
our 'chocolate statues' to the end user, the intermediate files are only
used in internal working directories for the sole purpose of generating
the final result. As Brett emphasized, these files are never distributed
and I agree with him that this is the key point.

As Brett also pointed out, it would cause us quite some inconvenience if
we had to avoid those copyright statements in intermediate files (except
if we simply removed them from the original templates, but I wouldn't be
happy about that either). So my central question is still not clear to
me: do we really *have* to remove those statements from intermediate files?

Thanks for all your comments,
Lukas