www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: [OASIS] RF (Royalty Free) on RAND Terms
Date Sat, 17 Sep 2005 04:36:57 GMT
> What's our position on implementing an OASIS standard that is
> under "RF (Royalty Free) on RAND Terms" (Section 10.2.2 -
> http://www.oasis-open.org/who/intellectualproperty.php)? Is
> there a specific mode listed in the url above that is good
> for us (better than the others?)

Without seeing the specific license and its terms and conditions, or without
assurance by OASIS that there are *no* patent claims asserted by anyone for
that standard, there's no way to tell what Apache's position should be.

Apache has rejected some OASIS patent licenses (e.g., SenderID, WS-Security)
and been comfortable with others (DomainKeys). It all depends on the
specific license terms.

OASIS has refused to provide a "standard" license for its standards that we
could approve or reject up-front. Instead, they describe vague "RF (Royalty
Free) on RAND Terms" kinds of licenses in their policies, but without
specifics.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
Rosenlaw & Einschlag, technology law offices (www.rosenlaw.com)
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
707-485-1242  *  fax: 707-485-1243
Author of "Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom and
   Intellectual Property Law" (Prentice Hall 2004)
   [Available also at www.rosenlaw.com/oslbook.htm]