www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: Java SE IP Issues (affects Apache Harmony)
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2005 19:51:11 GMT
Dims asked:
> Has anyone here reviewed the following note from SUN?
> https://jdk.dev.java.net/jse_ip_issues.html

Does anyone know the specific "Sun SE IP" that Sun claims? While it may be
fair to demand compatibility as a condition of licensing, I'd need to know
exactly what Sun is licensing first and whether we really need to license
it.

>>From what Sun wrote, I can't see why anyone would need a license from Sun as
long as they:

   1. Don't copy any of Sun's code. The implementation must be independent.

   2. Don't use any of Sun's patented technology. What patents?

   3. Don't apply Sun's trademarks to the goods.

   4. Don't desire to pass Sun's TCK.

Nobody should need a license from Sun to make truthful statements such as
"Apache Harmony is Apache's own implementation of Sun's Java SE created by
reading public documentation and by reverse engineering solely to obtain
compatibility." For example, "Firefox is open source software that does what
Microsoft's Internet Explorer does, only better."

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
Rosenlaw & Einschlag, technology law offices (www.rosenlaw.com)
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
707-485-1242  *  fax: 707-485-1243
Author of "Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom and
   Intellectual Property Law" (Prentice Hall 2004)
   [Available also at www.rosenlaw.com/oslbook.htm]