www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Copyright statement in intermediate files
Date Sun, 11 Sep 2005 02:05:26 GMT
On Sunday 11 September 2005 07:56, Brett Porter wrote:
> I think we're better off just educating the user in this case.

In principle, I agree with your statement that "extra work" is hard to
justify. But hard-life experience tells me that "educating the user" is the
last resort, and likely to fail. OTOH, it can't be that many users that
"bothers" either...

> So for use to leave the ASF copyright on the template as we are required

"Required" is probably a too strong word. Going thru text files in ASF SVN and
you will find tons that doesn't have Copyright notice texts in them. For
instance;

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/maven-1/core/trunk/bootstrap.sh
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/maven-1/core/trunk/plugin-profile.xml

:o)

Copyright law doesn't require notices, just a "good practice".

Cheers
Niclas