www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Cliff Schmidt <cliffschm...@gmail.com>
Subject legal-discuss is publicly viewable
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:15:20 GMT
On 8/22/05, Justin Mason <jm@jmason.org> wrote:
> (PPS: is legal-discuss supposed to be open and googleable?
> http://www.mail-archive.com/legal-discuss@apache.org/ .  stopped around
> May, though.)

or see http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/.

Actually Brett Porter just pointed this out to me.  I also thought
this list was supposed to be private (and I'm not the moderator!), but
it's been pointed out to me that it was always the intention to make
it a closed list (primarily only open to committers), but viewable by
anyone.  See the bottom of
http://apache.org/foundation/mailinglists.html.

So, first of all, I want to make sure everyone posting to this list
realizes that their posts have been and will continue to be publicly
readable.

Secondly, I'd like to do an informal survey to make sure everyone is
happy with the current usage of this list.  To summarize:

1. Only committers and invited guests with legal experience may
subscribe.  Anyone who mails to -subscribe gets held up until I verify
that they are a committer by checking their email address is an
apache.org address or determining if they should be one of the special
guests.
2. Anyone can read from the web archive.
3. Anyone can post to the list, but non-subscribers would get their
message moderated, which usually means that I simply check that the
post is not spam.  In other words, anyone can write.
4. None of this saves me any manual anti-spam work.  I consistently
get about 8-12 moderated emails a day for this list, which are almost
always all spam.

So, anyone can post, anyone can read, only committers and invited
guests actually get it into their inbox, and I still get spam.

Is it just me, or is this sort of a strange policy?  I would prefer
either making this list  a) private - only viewable by subscribers, or
b) fully public with unlimited subscription, but only subscribers can
post (no moderation of potential spam), or c) same as now, but I'd
like some help with moderating messages (those aren't the only 8-12
moderate messages I get in a day).

Any thoughts?

Cliff

Cliff