www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Cliff Schmidt <cliffschm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache's LGPL Policy
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 03:21:48 GMT
On 8/2/05, Justin Erenkrantz <justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 09:12:52PM -0400, dandiep@apache.org wrote:
> > IANAL, but I do not qualify dropping an LGPL into my /lib directory as
> > linking. The linking is all done at classloading time by the java
> > classloader.
>
> Cliff can correct me, but I believe neither the FSF nor our counsel agree with
> your lay opinion.  It is their claim that distributing it together makes the
> entire work fall under the terms of the LGPL.  Those terms are unacceptable to
> the ASF.  Yet, since this isn't our license, the FSF would need to change its
> license to rectify the situtation.
>
> If Cliff could have proposed a policy that allowed co-distribution, I believe
> he would have done so.  -- justin

Actually, I did manage to get the FSF to even agree that distributing
a single .jar that contains both the Apache-developed program and
LGPL-licensed library would not have any impact on how we could
license the Apache stuff.  In fact, a strong argument can be made that
the single .jar is simply a collective work that can be licensed
however we like (e.g. Apache) -- HOWEVER: that doesn't change the
licensing of the the LGPL library itself.  So, if Apache continues to
have a policy that does not allow distribution of components that
require licensing terms beyond those stated in the Apache License v.2,
then we can't do co-distribution.

So, the problem isn't with the LGPL in this case, it is simply
adherence to a self-imposed policy -- one that exists to meet a
perceived expectation that a download from Apache only includes work
licensed under Apache terms.  We can question that policy if we like,
but I'd prefer it be on the other thread -- since this is not an
LGPL-related issue.

Cliff