www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: IDEA block cipher inclusion via the "bouncy castle" JCE provider
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2005 02:10:17 GMT
At 08:58 AM 8/30/2005, Bill Stoddard wrote:
>Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>>Another approach would be to petition bouncycastle.org to provide a
>>distribution of the software w/o the algorithm included.
>
>This seems to be the most reasonable approach. I would argue today that BC is not open
source, by the OSI definition (http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php) due to the presence
of the IDEA algorithm in their distribition. They are violating their own license.

Totally +1 (smells of a submarine).  As much as it pains us to
say "drat - but let's make an exception for just this one" ...
that is not a good solution for the long term health of the
foundation or its projects.

Bill