www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Dittert, Eric" <eric.ditt...@intel.com>
Subject RE: Apache's LGPL Policy
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2005 19:19:04 GMT

From: Jeffrey Thompson [mailto:jthom@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2005 6:52 AM

>Here's where I lose the reasoning.  If I understand the FSF correctly,
if I
>write a program that is designed to be linked to a GPL program, it is a
>derivative work of that GPL program whether or not I actually do the
>linking before I distribute my program.

Ok, I read the FSF's FAQ on GPL and I can see there is certainly room
for confusion.  There does seem to be a contradiction between the
implication in the FAQ that "derivative work" includes source code that
refers to a library and the clear distinction made in the LGPL.  Of
course, the FAQ on GPL has its own internal contradictions; for
instance, there is no rational technical basis for distinguishing
between the dynamic linking that goes on between a Linux program and the
Linux OS and the dynamic linking that occurs between Java code and a
Java library.  Yet the FAQ would have us believe that these are distinct
in law.  Given this track record on intellectual rigor, the use case
approach might be the best one to put stock in for assessing FSF's
position -- ask specific questions about the cases of interest and
accept whatever they say.  Don't try to figure out how they got there.

-- Eric