www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: IDEA block cipher inclusion via the "bouncy castle" JCE provider
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:33:43 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> It may be the case that we need to get a license to redistribute the
> bouncycastle jar (from MediaCrypt).  If this is the case, I suspect
> that we're hosed, as we wouldn't distribute something that requires
> our users who wish to redistribute our software to go get a license
> from someone.

I agree

> If not, we can provide a warning to our users that our software
> includes the IDEA algorithm which is encumbered, but at this time, I
> can't guarantee that it won't be invoked somehow.

Given the discussions surrounding LGPL I also don't think this will be
generally accepted.

However (also, see link below) - it is a bit different because although
it interacts with the JCE in a similar way we're talking about code not
used here. If we guarantee it is never used in Geronimo (or other), does
that make it ok? What happens if the user takes that library out of
*our* distribution and uses it elsewhere? I suspect this isn't a
problem, but I never really know.

> Another approach would be to petition bouncycastle.org to provide a
> distribution of the software w/o the algorithm included.

Yep, definitely the way forward. You may already have the answer:

http://www.bouncycastle.org/devmailarchive/msg05065.html

This gives a decent background on both the distribution and the
licensing. Searching for "IDEA patent" on their list archives turned up
other helpful responses.

So at the least, I guess we can repackage it ourselves, though it would
be good to ask for an official one.

Interested to hear how this progresses as we're still considering using
BC for openpgp over at commons.

Cheers,
Brett