www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Roger Ruttimann <roger...@apache.org>
Subject Portal Bridges for PHP
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2005 06:08:13 GMT
As a part of the Jetspeed-2 project I created a bridge for executing PHP
applications inside a portlet. I had to extent and modify the servlet
example (experimental code) which calls into PHP's Java API. The
modifications were packaged as a library (posted in public maven
repositories) which is referenced by the php bridge in Portal Bridges. I
posted the source code on a website with public access.

In PHP 5 the Java API was dropped and it got more complicated to support
the php bridge. In fact people were asking to include some of the source
code in the bridges so that the PHP engine could be extended along with
the portal bridges. This doesn't seem to be an option since we can't
have code derived from the PHP license included in ASF repositories. Can
anybody confirm this?

Another option would be to have a project for the PHP Java API and the
servlet and portlet extension since the API was dropped from the PHP
project. I don't know what license issues would arise with this
approach. Maybe Sam Ruby who wrote the Java API for PHP and who is an
Apache member could provide some suggestions.

For now, the only solutions seems to be to have the modified source code
posted on a public site and instructions inside the portal bridges
project that point to the source. A better integration of the external
dependencies would be preferred by the users.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, ideas or guidelines to generate
more acceptance of the php bridge and the portals project in general.

Roger Ruttimann