www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Apache's LGPL Policy
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2005 07:04:32 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Thursday 11 August 2005 22:07, Dan Diephouse wrote:
>
>>Maybe this is wrong, but I am assuming that the stakeholders invovled
>>will all participate in this discussion.
>
> That is a fairly wrong assumption;
>
>   * This list is only available to committers.
>   * Not all committers subscribe to this list.
>   * Not all subscribers are committers.

This is well put.  Moreover, this list is for discussing the
implications of specific legal options available to the foundation,
that includes licensing, regulation, IP rights and responsibilites,
etc.

This list is actually not for deciding policy.  This list has created
a good summary of the issues; now it is up to the board to ask for
clarification of the issues (they are doing so), and then choose one
policy which matches the end goal coupled with actions we are willing
to take as a Foundation.

Moreover, any licensing is decided by the "Members" of the foundation,
in the end.  Most minor matters are handled by the board, who those
members elected.  It's a good example why we are trying to peer into
the corners of the foundation and find contributors of signficant merit
to join in this decision making process.

> Ralph concluded that you are suggesting turning ASF into a SourceForge. Noone
> wants that. PMCs will not be allowed to make licensing policy decisions, only
> to manuever within them.

Although Ralph's wording might be a bit harsh, the conclusion is well
put.  The Apache Foundation is guided by our articles of incorporation,
our bylaws and our license, which reflects the spirit of what we were
formed to accomplish.

I can envision a scenario where certain LGPL edge cases will be allowed
in the absense of any other solution.  But I suggest that now the issues
are identified, we can probably pause the discussion and let the board
consider the issues raised.

Bill