www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Dan Diephouse <...@envoisolutions.com>
Subject Re: Apache's LGPL Policy
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2005 02:13:51 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:

> Martin Cooper wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Ralph Goers wrote:
>>
>>> I don't agree with this.  I believe Apache should be consistent
>>> across the board and I don't think that hard dependencies on an
>>> LGPL'd component should be allowed.  I hate to harp on this, but as
>>> an example Apache Agila (at least when I looked at it last month)
>>> would not function without Hibernate. Frankly, I think this should
>>> prohibit the project from making it out of incubator.  On the other
>>> hand, providing support for or allowing a framework such as Agila to
>>> be able to use Hibernate is a very good thing as many of its
>>> customers will want that.
>>

>> While I think this would be good in theory, I don't believe it's
>> practical or realistic. The problem is that this becomes a
>> significant make-work item for ASF projects. In the particular case
>> of Hibernate, that is well on its way to being a de facto standard
>> for persistence, and businesses are standardising on it. Therefore it
>> makes sense for ASF projects to depend on it. If the policy is that
>> ASF projects cannot do that, then the developers are forced to do
>> perhaps significant extra development just to meet the policy, when
>> the users of the project's software will in large part ignore all
>> that extra work and use Hibernate anyway.
>>
> The policy in place today is no LGPL'd code in Apache stuff.  Now I
> appreciate that Hibernate is really useful, and while I'd like to make
> use of it in Cocoon to help out those who are going to use it, I just
> cannot agree that allowing hard dependencies on LGPL'd code is
> acceptable.  In effect, you might as well put the project in question
> under the LGPL as well.  What this will do is cause companies who
> today allow anything from Apache, because they know it only require
> stuff under the ASL, to having to make allow/disallow decisions on a
> project by project basis.

I think you're going a little far - having the project ASL'd is still
very worthwhile. First, the ASF project can still be repackaged and used
commercially. They just can't relicense the LGPL library or sell JUST
the LGPL library for profit.  Second, portions of the code in the ASF
project might be reused in another proejct.  Third, at some later date
it might make sense to rip out the dependency and replace it with
another one which is more in line with the ASF line of thinking. That
just won't happen until it becomes worth it for the parties involved to
do so. Creating a policy which dictates otherwise forces unnecessary
cost on the project.

W.r.t companies which only allow anything from Apache:
1. IMO, they should develop a more comprehensive IP policy stating if
the LGPL is allowed
2. I don't think its as big of an issue as you make it out to be.
Companies are much more familiar and comfortable with open source these
days.
3. IF an LGPL library is included as a hard dependency we could create a
click-through acknowledgement on the download page so people would be
aware. In addition there should probably be a FAQ entry describing the
extra terms imposed by this library. (I will of course volunteer to help
in this area)

> Now, I don't know who gets to vote on this policy change, but I know
> if my vote counted I would vote -1 on allowing hard dependencies on
> LGPL. I would prefer no LGPL as it is today to that.
>
> As far as the amount of work goes, today LGPL'd software cannot be
> used in Apache projects at all. So what I am suggesting is far less
> work than is required today.
> So while you may not consider it realistic or practical, it is far
> better than where we are today and yet continues to maintain how
> Apache is viewed by the outside world.  I consider that far more
> important.

I really don't like outside world benchmarks. If you're so concerned
about the outside world, there is a good portion of it that would
consider Apache ridiculous because projects can't use Hibernate.
Instead, we should go by what we determine to be legally sound and
reasonable.

- Dan

--
Dan Diephouse