www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Dan Diephouse <...@envoisolutions.com>
Subject Re: Apache's LGPL Policy
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:24:14 GMT
Cliff Schmidt wrote:

>I think I understand Jeff's concern about the policy question.  At least a few large vendors
(and maybe many vendors) use and support ASF software because it allows them to sublicense
the ASF software using their commercial license within their product. Whether we distribute
the LGPL libraries or not, the concern is that the Apache product is no longer useful to them
if it requires licensing any part under LGPL (most vendors are not going to tell their customers
to go download a .jar). If taken to an extreme and every ASF product *required* an LGPL-licensed
library, then these vendors (the ones that want to sublicense everything with their commercial
license) would no longer be interested in shipping ASF products.

I'm missing something here. What is the specific problem for the vendor
if they can't sub-license the LGPL library under a different license?
They can still sub-license/charge for the rest of the work which is ASL.
Are you saying the LGPL places additional restrictions on the vendor
that they aren't going to like?

>On the other hand we have other users who would clearly benefit from projects being able
to produce new work without having to recreate a widely accepted component - especially one
that might already be on their desktop.

>Jeff was quite right in labeling this as a policy question. I haven't heard much concern
for a legal problem with what we are proposing; instead, the key issue is whether this move
would serve the goals of the foundation.

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions LLC