www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Copyright line in code contributions
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2005 17:34:35 GMT
On Tuesday 02 August 2005 22:54, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>   * I am writing code for contribution to the ASF.  I do so under their
>     copyright, not my own, because the code is created under the umbrella
>     of the ASF and they are the owner/copyright holder from the code's
>     very inception

I actually think that Larry means that this is not happening, as you are not
employed and that there is no Copyright assign from you to ASF, which
(copyright assigns) in case of many european countries are possibly not even
contractually possible.

Not sure, but it sounds strange that X could claim Copyright on behalf of Z,
without any agreement between the two. Such agreement does not exist in the
ASF CLA of today.

Lawyers can probably clarify but as I understand it, "I do so under their
copyright" has no effect other than everyone's "feel good", which is also
important community-wise. :o)

Cheers
Niclas