www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Cliff Schmidt <cliffschm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Usage of Hibernate]
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2005 23:38:06 GMT
At this point, ASF projects should not have dependencies on Hibernate
or any LGPL libraries, but this policy may change by the end of this
month:

The ASF has been working with the FSF to get a common understanding of
issues associated with Java projects that take dependencies on LGPL
libraries.  We're getting very close, and I'm now expecting to have a
resolution in front of the ASF Board by their next regular monthly
meeting.  I can't speak for the Board, but from the legal side, I
think there's a good chance the Board will approve allowing ASF
projects to take dependencies on unmodified LGPL libraries such as
Hibernate.  However, it is quite another thing to allow a project to
actually redistribute the LGPL dependency (as opposed to placing the
burden on the user to go out and get Hibernate).  We currently have a
pretty strong policy against allowing IP with terms beyond those of
the Apache License 2.0 to be checked into CVS/SVN or (depending on who
you ask) to be included in a project's release.

Again, this is a Board decision; I'm just trying to let you all know
the time line and the possible outcomes.

Cliff