www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dual licensing of code
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2005 12:39:44 GMT

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Simon Kitching wrote:

> Hi All,

Sorry for not replying on general@jakarta, I'll say what I was going to
say there here so experts can laugh and point out how horribly wrong it
all is.

> I am now looking at writing an article about unit testing and would like
> to be able to provide these classes as code in the public domain, just
> to make it as easy as possible for readers of the article to reuse that
> code.
>
> Is there any issue with doing this? What is the exact procedure I should
> follow? Should I add something like
>  "This code is also in the public domain."

There are effectively two versions of the code, the ASF copyrighted
version that lives on svn.apache.org and the Simon Kitching copyrighted
version that lives wherever.

You are public domaining the Simon Kitching version, which has no ASL
licence at the top and no impact on the ASF copyrighted version.

One slight nitpick is that you've probably not got your own copy, so I
imagine you silently roll the ASF copyrighted version (which is all Simon
Kitching work) into a Simon Kitching version. Technically wrong, but I
imagine a reality that no one would fuss over (?).

> following the Apache license header or somesuch? I presume I can't just
> delete the apache license header and replace it with such a declaration
> - and I don't really want to; I just want readers of the article to be
> able to reuse these two simple classes without any constraints at all,
> including the requirement to acknowledge Apache code is present.

I thought there were negatives to public-domain, ie) you're not protected
at all?

Also, I suspect that you can't dual-license (as such) between a licence
and public domain as public domain is the lack of a licence(?).

I'd drop the ASL licence to get the Simon Kitching version, then BSD
licence it, dropping the acknowledgement clause. Only worry would be over
the impropriety of the first step.

Hen