www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Thompson <jt...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: IBM and Apache
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:16:23 GMT
Davanum Srinivas <davanum@gmail.com> wrote on 07/15/2005 08:39:48 AM:
> Roy,
> Can you please point me to the legal documents Apache has signed with
> IBM that states that we have a "blanket reciprocal patent license". Is
> it in SVN? If not, can you please add it so that all of us can review
> it?
>
> Jeff,
> First time am hearing this. This is accurate? Is WS-Security covered?
> Does it mean Apache does not need to sign the WS-Security license
> agreement as it is already covered?

Roy can correct me if I'm wrong, but I expect that he is referring to the
patent pledge that IBM made earlier this year -- a blanket pledge not to
assert a list of 500 or so patents against anyone creating or using open
source software.  In addition, IBM regularly makes patent commitments for
specific standards similar to the one we made to WS-Security that would
apply to open source projects as well, but I don't think he was referring
to those.

Is WS-Security covered??   As I mentioned before, I don't think that IBM
has identified any specific IBM patent claims or patent applications that
are necessary for WS-Security.  Since there are NO KNOWN PATENTS that IBM
has which are necessary, the answer to your question is "No", but its the
good version of "no", not the bad one.  If it turns out that one or more
of those 500 are necessary for WS-Security, then the answer would be
"yes".

BTW, any takers on my suggestion that we get together in a small group and
develop a standard Apache way of working thru these issues?  If we get
some guidelines in place, it might save a lot of time the next time this
comes up.
Jeff

> On 7/15/05, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
> > IBM has a set of licenses to Apache in the
> > forms of CLAs that apply to any project in which IBM contributes,
> > a larger number of blanket patent grants to any open source project
> > (I have no idea if these are included since no actual patents have
> > been claimed), and a blanket reciprocal patent license that applies
> > in all other cases.
>
> thanks,
> dims
>
> --
> Davanum Srinivas -http://blogs.cocoondev.org/dims/

Staff Counsel, IBM Corporation  (914)766-1757  (tie)8-826  (fax) -8160
(web) http://www.beff.net/