www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@activemath.org>
Subject Validity of APL in Europe ?
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2005 07:13:32 GMT

Dear legal experts,

living and working currently in Germany, an answer to most open-source
licenses I have seen thus far is that "it's not valid in germany". I
know many say it's the case for the GPL or BSD licenses but I'd like to
hear more about this:

- was there anyone hearing about a trial in Europe with an Apache
license involved ?

- was the APL 2.0 designed in such a way that it would apply to, say,
France or Germany. Such statements as the guarantee-exclusion "in the
limits of applicable law" do help it...

I know the Apache Software Foundation has a representation in
Germany... does it have any legal status ? Would they be the trial
parties if any ?

thank you

paul