www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject RE: IBM and Apache
Date Sat, 16 Jul 2005 06:09:37 GMT
At 10:04 PM 7/15/2005, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
>Jeff, you should write television scripts. I don't see this being appropriate for Law
& Order, but perhaps Boston Legal will find humor in it. :-)

I sure as hell did - split a gut reading his dialog :)

>[...]
>I gather that's the promise that IBM is willing to make now with respect to its WS-Security
patents, if there actually are any. You are saying that you don't know of any IBM patents
that read upon the standard, but if there were any, they'd be licensed on certain "royalty-free"
terms.

The problem always seems to be

  1) fringe players, who announce they might have IP and never
     clarify, expecting RAND terms

  2) royalty-free does not absolve users from applying for the
     license to use the works the ASF provides; and frankly the
     ASF finds additional 'registration steps' and unnecessary
     and unwarranted burden on their users.  [Speaking with
     neither an ASF hat, nor an employers's hat.]

Bill