www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: IBM and Apache [offtopic]
Date Sat, 16 Jul 2005 05:29:49 GMT
On Saturday 16 July 2005 12:23, Ian Holsman wrote:
> but I was wondering if Microsoft have/has had a history of aggressively
> using their patent portfolio to stop other companies, or to get royality
> payments from 3rd parties.

It was seen by many OpenSource advocates that the RAND demand of a fee for the
patent covering the FAT/FAT32 filesystem was an attempt to stop open source
efforts, such as GNU/Linux.

Visio is another well-protected product with patented technology. Any attempt
to read/create Visio file formats has been / will be hindered by MS legal
department.

Those are the cases I know of.

Cheers
Niclas