www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: IBM's license for WS-Security - Take #2
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2005 03:35:32 GMT
On Monday 04 July 2005 00:26, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> i cannot see how the ASF could possibly offer a patent guarantee for
> derivative works. there is no limit on the patents which a derivative
> work may infringe. the best that could be offered is a promise that all
> derivative works would be entitled to use any patents owned by
> contributors that necessarily infringe the original library.

Ok, sorry. I was of course referring to the same patent(s) being infringed in
the Apache code and the derivative work.

If I understand Jeffrey and you correctly, you think it is Ok that if I take
WS-Security and for instance add a new management interface, that they
derived product is "fair game" for patent litigation?
Perhaps I understand you guys wrongly, but I have read Jeffrey's posts over
and over again, and that is what I see, both in respect to the patent issues
as well as the 'compliance issue'.

FWIW, I think Apache is starting to selling out its principles to get hold of
IP rights. The recent use of NDAs between ASF and corporate entities seems to
indicate that as well.

But OTOH, may I don't get it.

Cheers
Niclas