www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Thompson <jt...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: IBM's license for WS-Security - Take #2
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:07:56 GMT
Davanum Srinivas <davanum@gmail.com> wrote on 06/27/2005 11:56:30 AM:

> Thanks Jeff. I do understand the "there isn't much interest in
> redrafting the details of a patent license that was published 3 years
> ago when there would be no practical effect to making changes.". BUT
> the problem is a few ASF members (including a Board member) have told
> us that we can't push out a release for WSS4J (OR) get code from
> Verisign for TSIK incubation if we don't get licenses from MSFT/IBM.
> So i have no idea what to do....Please advise.

Once I get back from vacation (7/12) I'd be happy to have a call or an irc
chat with interested members if that would help.

> Let's look at it from another angle, do *you* think there are any
> problems with Apache signing the IBM License for WS-Security as-is?

*I* don't see any problem with Apache signing the license.  It might want
to wait until we identify a patent though.

> thanks,
> dims

Jeff

Staff Counsel, IBM Corporation  (914)766-1757  (tie)8-826  (fax) -8160
(web) http://www.beff.net/