www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Derby/Cloudscape Patent
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:13:06 GMT

On Jun 22, 2005, at 10:56 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Why should we hold Verisign to one standard (for TSIK, Justin told me
> that we should get an explicit grant) and one for IBM? Why not get an
> explicit grant (or) at least an acknowledgement that this patent is in
> "play". This is one thing i dug up. We don't know if there are others.

If I understand the facts right, and it's the case that the Derby
code infringes the patent, it's because IBM owns the patent that is
infringed by the code IBM contributed to the ASF. Therefore, as per
the terms of the CCLA/SG and the AL, they implicitly are granting
patent licenses to any recipient of that codebase.

In the case of TSIK, Verisign is the code contributor, and MSFT is
the [claimed] patent holder.  Verisign therefore isn't able to grant
the patent license.  If it was MSFT that was contributing the code,
it would be fine - MSFT would be implicitly granting the patent license.

> Stefano specifically asked for this information (which patents are
> implicitly granted) on the board@ mailing list. I posted specific
> question about this patent once on board@ and once on pmc@incubator
> and got no responses from any one. Finally i asked Sam on IM and he
> asked me to send Jeff a note.

Stefano's question was related to *third party* patents that IBM has
a license to for it's DB technology that is infringed by Derby, and
thus IBM is not implicitly granting patent licenses for.

See the diff?

> <rant ignore="on">
> On a related note, i have spent a lot of time searching for the IBM
> patents for WS-Security and still haven't found it. It's ridiculous
> for Apache to have to sign a license agreement for OASIS WS-Security
> specification (see http://www.ibm.com/ibm/licensing/977Q/2112.shtml)
> when there is *NO* public information either or IBM site or MSFT site
> or Verisign site about which patents they have that Apache will
> infringe by implementing WS-Security. Even the license PDF does not
> mention any specific patents. This is just driving me nuts. At least
> verisign is willing to donate code (TSIK) and would consider granting
> licenses for their IP. Am getting the run around from IBM and MSFT
> folks on the OASIS WSS mailing list (some public/some private). For
> godsakes, they threw me out of the mailing list on a technicality.
> </rant>

I have no advice or comment other than noting that "this situation
sucks", which is just a summary of the <rant/> paragraph above.

geir

>>> http://tinyurl.com/99hxh