www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: IBM's license for WS-Security - Take #2
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:36:08 GMT
At 10:27 AM 6/27/2005, Jeffrey Thompson wrote:

>However, I don't disagree with your conclusion.  From a lawyer's perspective, its better
not to copy example code.  Read it.  Understand it.  Write your own code.

<nods>

Anyone coming from the Microsoft world understands this; read the
licenses to the various MS dev products, and you get the sense that
they believe their example snippets have more value than their
Office Suite product.

This holds equally true for fragments you might google, not knowing
their true propriety or ownership.  Read, learn; then implement
on your own.

If we were shipping a 'language' product where we wished to ship
examples, this would be a barrier (not insurmountable).  For those
libraries and tools we simply bind to, it's a non-issue.

Bill