www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject RE: Not a patent/license question :)
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 03:00:01 GMT
At 11:19 PM 5/31/2005, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>
>> A related long-term issue that needs to be addressed as well is
>cancellations
>> of memberships.
>
>Already covered by the Bylaws.
>> AFAIK, the Foundation has no clear instrument for either of those.
>> People who "just leave" does not necessarily tell ASF about
>> quitting their membership, and dead people definately don't
>> send in the resignation.
>
>We've already addressed this within the Membership.

What's more interesting, as a board-directed foundation, the
board has leave to modify the bylaws as necessary.  So it's
trivial for them to change membership rules if, for example,
the foundation came to a point where quorum could no longer
be obtained.

We consistently run between 60-80% of quorum on most issues,
with a requirement for 33%, so we are a long way from this
being a serious issue.  As Noel says, it's being addressed.

If it comes to it, a resolution recognizing the accomplishments
of 'n' formerly active members could be adopted at the next
meeting, honoring them with Emeritus status.  I don't see it
coming quite that soon.  Again, as Noel says, the bylaws cover it.

Bill